Friday, 18 April 2008

Potentially Repeating Myself

I may have posted something like this before, so if I have I'm sorry, but if not hurrah.

It occurred to me today (and not for the first time) that the potential for new technological advances in the future is quite exciting in light of recent history. By this I mean, if you think back to the 80s Computers (and various other such things) where nowhere near capable of what they are now, and I think it would be silly of us to think that we have got to a stage where our technological advances are such that there is little else that can be done. With this in mind it follows that within 20 years the technology which we will have at our finger tips will be far superior to what we have now. However this leaves me with a slight feeling of trepidation. What happens if I start to lose touch with technology? For instance my grandma doesn't really know how to work a DAB radio, let alone a PC, so it also follows that in x number of years I too will be in a similar situation. Also my parents are amused greatly by the transcribe feature on my phone, it doesn't really work very well, but the fact that you write on my phone screen and it then turns it into some text is fascinating to them (well kinda), so again it follows that in 30 (37 to be the same age as my dad) or so years I too could be at a stage where relatively standard technology is something of awe to me, which again slightly upsets me as I really hope that I'm one of these people which manages to keep up with all the technological advances of our culture, but who knows. Furthermore the technology in games has advanced so much in the past 10 years that old games which used to look great seem pathetic now, so again similar advances are likely to take place within a similar time scale, which is all very exciting in my opinion.

I never really know how to finish these posts without it seeming like either an abrupt end or some pointless conclusion, so I guess this'll do.

6 comments:

James said...

yeah, this worries me too. we're heading to a society which has far too much for everyone to understand. There's also the lack of trust that can follow this, for example in my office there's a definite age gap between those who think filing electronically is enough and those who want paper copies of everything.

My hope is that we evolve into a society where new technology is so common that we continually embrace it. It becomes the norm and a necessity to continually keep yourself up to date with the technology around you.

Of course you can't keep up to date with everything, especially as everything keeps growing.

TheTelf said...

I often wonder what the first technology that I don't have the energy to learn will be. I can imagine holographic interfaces or suchlike being very confusing if they suddenly appear when we're in our 60s.

However, as a generation who have grown up with not only technological advancement, but incredibly rapid and widely available advancement, I think we'll have a better chance than previous generations of staying ahead of the curve.

Having said that, the thing that will throw us will be, as for previous generations, something totally unpredictable that will change the face of technology.

Imagine trying to learn to use a morphing 'intelligent' substance that could potentially serve any purpose. Or trying to adapt to living in a world full of microscopic 'helper' robots, or in a world in which digital human implants were commonplace. That might be enough for us to give up, and just curl up in the corner with our old fashioned laptops and iPods to see us through our final days.

Andy J. Wotherspoon said...

yeah I look forward to (in a strange way) when things like, it's quicker to just use a tablet pc comes in (non of this paper lark) or various other things, maybe the "wow you have a car that runs on petrol, that's awesome, it look so old fashioned, how did you get around the world in seconds without teleporters?"

immedia reaction said...

I have to say that episodes of Dr Who featuring the Cybermen have already convinced me that technological implants into human beings are a baaaad idea...

I'm just praying an energy crisis shocks us all out of this overly technology dependent existence and we're forced back on good old manual labour to survive. To be on the safe side, when I have kids, I'm not buying them any gadgets at all... I'm just going to teach them how to play musical instruments, and fight people with sharp pointy sticks, so they can both entertain and defend themselves in a post-apocalyptic world...

Luddite? moi?

TheTelf said...

If there's gonna be an energy crisis that brings society crashing down, all the more reason to enjoy the technology we can while it's still around.

Bionic eyes all round!

immedia reaction said...

"I only do eyes..."