Tuesday, 20 January 2009

Long overdue

As we wait upon an incredibly historic moment, which some of us will be witnessing more closely than others, I wonder, as I have before, why it hasn't happened sooner? This video shows that back in 1964 Martin Luther King thought that a black president would be possible within 25 years which was more to do with prejudice rather than ability, but it's taken 44 years (assuming my meagre maths skills are correct) for this to happen. Surely this could've happened earlier. I feel like we are being lead to believe that this is something incredible, the first black president, but I feel that really we (well maybe more Americans) should be feeling a little ashamed that this hadn't happened earlier. If there where people qualified to do the job back in 1964 then surely there have been people qualified before Obama. But it seems that it's not until 2008 that this could happen, why?

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, I'm glad that Obama's been elected and will soon be one of the most powerful people in the world and I really hope he lives up to the job and make some huge changes?

Also am I just an incredibly cynical bastard or have BBC got out their black presenters to help cover this event? Would they be using the same people if McCaine had won, although they probably wouldn't be covering it as much. I dunno maybe that's all irrelevant, but we do seem to have a culture that does make distinctions between black and white people, not necessarily in a negative way, but in a way that still makes it seem like there is more than a difference in skin colour.

Anyway, Congrats Obama, have a lovely inauguration (because you're obviously reading this :D ) and hope you can make some great changes in your time in office, and if you do a good job, I hope you get another term.

No comments: