Saturday, 7 February 2009

Pointless information, but pretty cool...

...well I though so anyway.

From wikipedia

In Japanese, harakiri is a colloquialism, seppuku being the more formal term. Samurai would use seppuku, whereas ordinary Japanese (who in feudal times as well as today looked askance at the practice) would use harakiri. Harakiri is the more common term in English, where it is often mistakenly rendered "hari kari".


I found this kinda interesting. I was looking up the spelling of Seppuku, don't bother asking why, it's not really interesting, and though I'd read a bit about it. Saw the word Harakiri and thought "hey that's kinda like the phrase harry karry" (I even spell things wrong when I think) and lo and behold it's where the phrase is derived from.

As is typical though, the meaning has been altered a bit, as it's usually used to mean causing chaos or something like that, where as it's proper usage would be for if someone was causing themselves to be disembowelled, something that doesn't often happen, thus making the phrase all but redundant.

No comments: