Thursday, 25 June 2009

I'm quite impressed (UPDATED)

http://www.scribblenauts.com/trailers.html
see video under article

This trailer doesn't do it much justice, but it is still pretty impressive. The basic concept is, get star by writing whatever you like in order to help you out.

Two examples I've heard that make it seem even cooler are, trying to get a whale back into the sea using a twister (american telling story) which flung the whale off the wrong way, fail, but fun. And another is writing 'timemachine' being sent back in time and being attacked by dinosaurs, so typing 'robot dinosaur' and getting a robot dinosaur to ride and kill other dinosaurs, yet still failing as the star was sill in the future.

Now i have no idea what the actual limitations are (aside from your own imagination), there must surely be a limit to the programs capabilities, but if this is as good as the few stories I've heard I'll be buying myself a DS so i can play this, as I love that kinda stuff, though I will have to learn how to spell.

Kinda like Crayon Physics (go find the link yourself), but better

UPDATE: This kinda relates to the title, so here we go.

Frickin' awesome headphones

These are utterly ridiculous in so many ways, but totally awesome aswell. If I was gaming more, especially on Xbox Live, I'd buy a pair (even though they are £150, which strangley equates to $150, go figure). As it stands though, i don't play games enough and I don't really have £150 lying around.

1 comment:

TheTelf said...

Seems like a cool idea - but the only real test with this kind of game is whether it's fun to play.

The only way I can see you'd write a game like this would be to have a dictionary of words that could be actioned, along with simple descriptions of what they'd do (beavers eat wood, policemen chase donuts etc.). These things are then allowed to interact with the environment in particular ways, enabling the user to solve problems.

However, doing it this way would need an enormous amount of work to ensure that most words people might enter would be covered, even if each word only needed a simple pointer to an action. I'd be interested to know how much flexibility there is there, though, and it's the kind of problem-solving structure that could be used in lots of different types of games.