Tuesday 24 July 2007

My blog is stupid

According to the date on the first entry of my old blog, I began blogging two years and one day ago. My intention for my posts then seems to be different to what it has now become. I was happy then to write about what I had been up to in my life, mainly to keep a record for me to look back on and for friends to read if they wanted to know what I'd been up to. Having done that (albeit on and off) for two years and a day, I feel I've had mixed success. Looking back, it is nice to read what I was doing however long ago; however, by far the most interesting entries are those where I'm just writing about my opinion on something.

The main problem I found with writing a blog that records your life is that, if you don't post anything for a little while, you feel you should write a "catch up" segment at the start of your newest entry detailing what you've been up to. I never relished this, which put me off posting; this in turn meant that I would leave making a new entry for even longer, creating more stuff that I felt the need to "catch up" on, increasing my reluctance to write something. It's a vicious circle as I'm sure you can see.

So, starting afresh. A new blog. A new(ish) style. A new writing partner. My goal in posting here is largely the same as TheTelf's in that I will use this blog to write about anything of interest to me. Much like TheTelf, I'm unwilling to "define" as such my intentions here, partly because I don't want to restrict myself before I get started, and partly because I don't really know what my intentions are. If I end up typing a stream of consciousness for an entry, that's cool; if an entry is a rant, then it's a rant. As someone who's dabbled in creative writing on and off for some time, there's a chance some of that could very well end up here too.

I love opinions. I love my opinions, and I love hearing the opinions of others. There may be only two writers on this blog at the moment, but you can bet your bottom dollar you'll get a wealth of opinion here from the get-go. And with the potential for more contributors in the near future, this place could become very, very interesting.

No comments: