Sunday 4 January 2009

Goodbye 2008

In the same way as we did last year...

Best film I saw at the cinema in 2008:
Grindhouse (My review)
(runners up: The Dark Knight, Wall-E, No Country for Old Men, The Assassination of Jesse James, There Will Be Blood)

A huge number of good films there, and it's so difficult to pick a favourite, but I'm going with Grindhouse because I loved the attention to detail put in to push it from just a cinema trip to something much more.


Best film I saw (for the first time) on DVD in 2008:
Brick (my review in here)
(runners up: Sunshine, Fargo)

Brick and Sunshine both jumped pretty much into my top ten films ever on a first viewing, but Brick just scrapes it for being so inventive without needing any of the special effects flash of Sunshine.


Best TV show that I saw for the first time in 2008:
Deadwood (seasons 1 and 2)


Best single of the year (even though I know nothing about music):
N/A

Yep, I didn't listen to enough new music this year to even be able to identify a favourite single.


Best album of the year:
Heretic Pride - The Mountain Goats.


Best live show I saw this year:
Derren Brown - An evening of wonders (my review here)


Live show I wish I'd seen this year:
The Mountain Goats

If I'd had anyone to go with, I'd have gone, but I didn't want to brave them on my own for the ONE NIGHT they appeared to be playing in the UK, ever.


Best game I played this year:
Call of Duty 4
(runner up: Assassin's Creed)

The campaign is a bit overblown, but the multiplayer has sapped more of my evenings this winter than the flu.


Best non-computer game I played this year:
Warhammer

Yep, incredibly sad, but with more disposable cash than I had back when I last tried it when I was 12, this hobby is a lot more accessible, and heart-warmingly geeky.


Most time wasted this year:
www.itsyourturn.com

Playing up to 200 games of chess at once has never been so possible. Might take over your life.


Best blog I started reading this year:
Bete de Jour
(runner up: Photoshop Disasters)


Best webcomic discovered this year:
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
(runner up: Wondermark)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grindhouse would have been in my honorable mentions, but I kind of couldn't remember whether I saw it in late '07 or early '08, and also remembered that I had seen Death Proof and Planet Terror individually on DVD (and definitely in 2007) before seeing the whole thing at the cinema, so I didn't think it really qualified for me. Some nice and interesting choices all round.