Friday 21 December 2007

40bn

So it looks like Putin's worth 40bn (seen in this morning's guardian). Not bad for government work, as they say.

When i read things like this about people I always wonder, why don't you just retire. Surely there's some figure where you think 'that's probably enough for me'. If I had 40bn, I'd be off on my island with large comfy home cinema and spend my days cruising around, playing games and watching films.

But i guess the fact I would do this is probably why I'll never make 40bn, and the fact Putin will keep busy till he dies is the reason he is.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There's also the concept of greed and thinking that 40bn isn't enough, so you want to make more and be worth 50bn, which still wont be enough to satiate your desire for money.

On a smaller scale, I find that I spend money in order to get things to make me "happy", but when I actually have the thing in question I find that I'm slightly less happy, because I just spent some money, and that whatever it is hasn't brought me the happiness I so truly desired.

Now from here I could go along a nice Christian route of God being the only true happiness in a persons life, but I wont. I'll let you all do it for yourself :D

(OK so technically I did go down that route, but not in great detail)

TheTelf said...

I seems like greed is not necessarily the only motivation. If you enjoy making money, then why not carry on doing it as long as you are able? I don't get the impression that he's working 16-hour days in order to make this money, so retirement probably wouldn't change his life hugely.

Some people even find that retirement becomes unbearable, with no challenges to drive you on day to day.

Also, James - do you want to do a quick 'hello' type post, just to say who you are for anyone that doesn't actually know you (ie. Andy).