Sunday 28 September 2008

Pies will be eaten at amazing rates.

I'm probably insane, but I've entered NaNoWriMo.

It's what happens when you invite good friends over the weekend and let them talk you into silly things. I don't think I'll make 50,000 words, but it might actually get me somewhere with this hardcore SF/young adult fantasy novel I've been meaning to write for ages. I've got some plot outline scrawled down, but it's pretty bad. However, I don't know whether to write it as SF or YAF and have been using this as an excuse to procrastinate like a mofo.

But, I think if I at least get something written, it'll give me something to edit afterwards... and who knows? I might actually produce a complete story. I'd like to think I could.

3 comments:

TheTelf said...

Hey, that's a great idea - go you, and whoever persuaded you to do it. :D

I'd be worried that after a few days I'd be totally burned out on the process and just want to sleep, but if you've got confidence in your story idea, and you've got the passion and the energy to see it through, then definitely go for it!

Let us know how it goes :D

Hanspan said...

Thanks! It was Mel, my BFF and second year housemate from Durham. She is awesome-cool.

Now you've mentioned those possibilities they are terrifying and I may chicken out.

I think my story idea is good, but I'm not exactly sure what's going to happen with it. Though maybe that's a good thing.

And I will. Eep.

Unknown said...

Incidentally I've been playing around with the idea of writing a fiction book/novel/thing and made a start a while back, but just don't really have the time to write, i feel like I should wait till I have some money built up, quit my job and write the book whilst living off the money I have, but that's probably a silly idea. My problem also is that I kinda have these cool ideas that I want to get to and start expanding on but feel I need to actually start at the beginning and work as though I'm reading the book, which probably isn't the best idea, but seeing I know nothing much about writing techniques (other than what I have gleaned from reading other books and noticing clever things, like introducing an idea only on which will feature more later to kinda give the reader a hint about what's to come so it doesn't feels as random when you finally get there, if that makes any sense), I'm also crap at english so would really need and editor to go through it and tell me I'm an idiot lots. so err.. yeah I dunno.

Anyway go you! Sounds fun. I'd love to read it if it becomes flesh.