Monday 21 January 2008

Tomes.

Thanks to the amount of time it took me to get that post written, I've got a number of shorter posts to get on here over the next few days. This is the first of those, and concerns the greatest impulse buy ever. I tend not to actually purchase media in general - I read, watch and listen to as much free stuff as I can, but I've never really got around to collecting books or discs of any sort. Hence my surprise when I found myself in possession of two awesome comic anthologies, The Complete Far Side and The Complete Calvin and Hobbes.

It's really difficult to state in words the magnificence of these items. They are weighty, truly weighty, to the point where it is a struggle to carry both of them for any length of time. They feel like ancient lexicons of some forgotten religion, and, from what I have experienced so far, brilliantly laid out and constructed.

I really don't have a huge amount more to say, other than that even if I had no other commitments, in between basking in their majesty and actually reading them (the sacrilege!), they could keep me comfortable occupied for a number of months. As it is, I can't imagine how long it'll take me to get through them all, but I'm looking forward to it immensely.

No comments: