Monday 5 October 2009

Five cover versions I've enjoyed recently

1. Born Slippy by Barefoot (original by Underworld)
2. Freak On A Leash by Richard Cheese (original by Korn)
3. Jump Around by Moonbootica (original by House Of Pain)
4. Yellow Submarine by Roots Manuva (original by The Beatles)
5. Roses by Hayseed Dixie (original by Outkast)

I've mentioned cover versions on the blog before (only in one or two posts from what I can remember), but they are an area of music that I'm very interested in. I "collect" interesting covers, either mentally or by trying to get hold of them in some form. Some are good, some are average, some you really can't see the point of the cover being released as it's so similar to the original. But some just work so well they stick, occasionally even replacing the original. I don't know if any of the above five have replaced the originals for me yet (in the case of number 2 I heard the cover first anyway, and I'm not a huge fan of Korn and love Richard Cheese, so that one kind of had a head start), but they all bring something to the song that makes it the artist's own. And yet in each of them there is a faithfulness to, or at least appreciation of, the original. Whether the purpose is comedy or originality, or both, each of these cover versions has a spark of the original version in there, whilst creating an incredibly worthwhile alternative version.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy them at least some of the amount that I do.

Blogathon score: 5

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Richard Cheese - best name ever and also wonderful, wonderful, cover. Made me laugh/remember my youth. If only I'd listened to that version when I was a kid I would've turn out so debonair.