Thursday 1 October 2009

Trailer Mash

And so comes my time to enter into the Blogathon Of Destiny. I considered a few things to write my inaugural post on, and whilst what I settled on may be a slightly softer option than a few of the things I've decided to put off for another day, I still think it's worthy enough to be entry number one.

I read Empire's website fairly regularly, and find the lists they put up there, if not entirely original, enjoyable to read the vast majority of the time. Their most recent list is The 50 Best YouTube Move Trailer Mashups, a genre of internet videos that has featured on this blog in the past. Not entirely impressed with every trailer mashup I've watched so far on the list, but most of them have been entertaining. Some of them are truly inspired however, with personal favourites including numbers 43, 27, 13, 10, 9, 7, 4, 3 and 1, with 2 being my overall favourite (although all of the top four are masterful).

Even though the more obviously entertaining ones are those that take the images from one film and the sound from another, and when these match up well it's wonderful to watch, the most well-crafted and authentic mashup trailers are by far those that simply take clips from just one film and use them in a new way. The power of suggestion is truly a mighty weapon, and (apart from one or two tiny additions here and there) the top four of Empire's fifty use just that to take one film and turn it against itself to fit it into an entirely different genre. That's why number 2 is my overall fave: I don't think I've ever seen it done better than in that short video.

Anyway, maybe something a little weightier for tomorrow's entry, but I just couldn't resist the English teacher geekery available in writing about this list.

Entries towards Destiny: 1

No comments: