Friday 16 May 2008

An Endothermic Reaction

Following suit, a bit about me...

I'm Joe, and I am in the fairly unique position of nearly knowing everybody (who posts on this blog, rather than universally!) Telf and I shared rooms, as well as many conversations and good times, at University and beyond. Through him and the pub quiz mentioned by James, I have since had the pleasure of encountering pretty much everyone else concerned. There are of course two exceptions: Andy and I went to school together up in the sunny land of Liverpool, have been on many different adventures together since, and are about to embark upon the adventure of sharing a house; Hannah I have yet to meet, though I have heard much about her from Telf!

Confused?

I live and work in London as a musician and studio engineer. This mostly involves playing the piano a lot, running a studio in South Wimbledon called Cherry Pie Recording Studio, and spending a fair portion of time in front of Sibelius writing and arranging things!

I'm a Christian, which is entirely fundamental to how I go about my life. If for any reason that leaves you feeling uncomfortable (and I realise that may well be the case!) let me try and clarify a little... I'm not a crazy right wing evangelical fundamentalist, or a nominal Christian in the cultural sense. I'm a follower of Christ, his teachings, and the way of life he proposed, or at least, I try to be!

I enjoy absorbing this completely bizarre culture we seem to find ourselves in, and particularly enjoy talking about it afterwards. Not entirely sure what I mean by afterwards, hmm. So yay for music, films, tv, musicals, drama, and many other things! I'm not sure I could be more vague if I tried.

Now I think about it, a vagueness competition seems like a pretty intriguing concept.

12 comments:

Hanspan said...

What have you heard? Should I be worried? :S

Hanspan said...

And what do you think of women priests? My mum is one.

Subtext: so you have to like them or I shall hate you! :P

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

hahaha, this is a strange subject for me too. My Mum's a Reader in the Anglican Church, however the church I go to (non denominational) don't have women teaching. We had an evening where we talked about it (and various other stuff), but I can't remember what was said now (it was a couple of years ago), but it's something that perplexes me still.

Personally I'm not sure why women aren't allowed to preach in church, but I haven't really looked at it too much. I think that there are certain bits in the bible that suggest that women should be elders in the church, but I'm not entirely sure about the whole thing. I'll try to find some good info about it.

Well that's just my musings, hardly well formed thoughts.

I deleted my previous comment as it had stuff that was me not saying things right.

Unknown said...

As an additional comment, It's not like I'm not going to go to a church which has a women priest so I'm indifferent to them, without making it seem like I don't care.

Unknown said...

there should probably be another comma in there somewhere.

Unknown said...

I may just keep filling this post up with inane comments.

joebloggs said...

no hannah, you don't need to worry!!

And good question! Nope, I don't object to women priests at all! In fact the very first European Christian (check out Acts) was Lydia, who was most definitely a woman! The only area I think there's any issue is to do with pastoral care - and i don't think men are better than women, i just think there are circumstances in which it's potentially unsuitable for a man to be pastored by a woman, and equally the other way round! I know (and in fact live with one) several great female preachers!

Hanspan said...

That's cool. Hating people is sooooo much effort. When you say "preachers"do you mean women who lead worship without being ordained? Or do you mean lay preachers who give sermons but don't lead services? Just wondered.

TheTelf said...

"That's cool. Hating people is sooooo much effort."

Just to make it clear, what Hannah means is that hating people is very very easy for her. So easy, in fact, that she already hates you, in order to save time. When she confirms that you're men, that'll be it, you never be able to earn her respect again...

:P

joebloggs said...

hmm, whole lotta anglican words there! And not being an anglican kinda hard for me to say. By preachers I mean people who preach (as in give sermons), ordained or otherwise, in or out of the anglican church. I think the argument about women being ordained is probably a little different because it's about CofE tradition, and that's something I'm entirely unqualified to comment on!

Hanspan said...

Patrick stop lying. Hating most people is an incredible amount of effort. It's only with someone as objectionable as yourself that it's so easy.

And fair enough Joe, thanks for the clarification. You seem really nice, I don't hate you at all. Yet :D